Our West Virginia Child Injury Attorneys know how to secure needed resources which your family will need to ensure that your seriously injured child receives the best of care. We are WV lawyers based in Morgantown, but serve all of West Virginia and strive to make the process as easy as possible for you.
WEST VIRGINIA CHILD INJURY ATTORNEY
Child injuries are common, and the safety of a child depends on its surroundings and the adult who is supervising the child. If an unprecedented injury happens to a child, a child injury lawyer can help your family to receive the compensation needed for your child’s best care.
Our West Virginia child injury lawyers are dedicated to getting to the bottom of your case to look for evidence. After finding the evidence, it is up to the lawyer to make sure that the one responsible for the injury of the child is made to provide compensation for their negligence or errors.
Winning a case for a child injury can result in compensating the family for the damages and the pain caused due to the injury or even the death of a child. No amount of money can ever compensate for the loss of health or a life, but there are medical bills and in the worst cases, funeral bills, and a settlement received through a personal injury lawsuit can go a long way toward paying for past medical treatment, pain, and inconvenience and will pay for future medical treatment and care as needed.
Child injuries are often accidental, and sometimes they are not. In the bleakest of cases, they can be intentional as horrific as it may sound. And there are instances where it can arise solely due to negligence.
These situations may arise from a variety of scenarios that may come to light after leaving your child with a babysitter or at the daycare. Sometimes there have been instances where a family member is a culprit behind the injury of the child. And whatever the reason may be if you feel a need for a lawyer to look into a case, a child injury lawyer is the right person to call upon.
One can seek a child injury lawyer if you feel like your child’s injuries have been caused by a person’s carelessness and could have been prevented.
A child injury lawyer is also helpful in cases where the injury was caused due to misconduct or due to behaviors in which the intentions could have been otherwise. A child injury lawyer can look into the matter with a logical point of view before any further damage is done.
As a direct result of a severe injury, a certain amount of trauma may result in the child. This kind of shock may result in psychological effects which will be harmful in the long run.
Questions? Call Today: 304.594.1800
Our Morgantown Child Injury Lawyers Work Hard to Ensure That Your Child Will Receive the Best Care
To make sure a child cared for and protected is the primary purpose for hiring a lawyer. The action of looking into the matter with a professional attorney may instill the feeling that there is some justice and no wrong act may go unnoticed.
WHAT IS A WV CHILD INJURY LAWYER?
A child injury lawyer is a professional who deals with cases related to child injuries that are caused accidentally or through abuse and neglect of a child. The number of child injury cases that can arise from those reasons are not limited to just the playground. But it can be something mundane as injuries that are the result of dangerous parts in a toy or a toy that is just not suitable for children of certain ages. Injuries can also be caused by something serious such as pure neglect from caregivers, babysitters, healthcare providers or even their family members. No matter the type of injury, when it happens to a child, the loved ones are experiencing the helplessness of being unable to help a child. In some urgent cases, it also results in death due to the injuries. Any of these scenarios can combine to give an unpleasant experience to the family as well as the victim who is all the doing of a third party.
Child injury attorneys are trained to deal with any mishaps a child can go through. A West Virginia Child Injury Lawyer is skilled and experienced and has dealt with cases like:
1. Injuries that have resulted from a child playing in an amusement park can be due to improper safety measures in the park, or it could arise due to the carelessness of anyone. Often the injury cases that result from amusement parks end up being fatal or have even lead to death.
2. Accidents that happen when the child is riding a bicycle. The bicycle is hazardous equipment for a child especially if the child is monitored. Ill-wishers can also look for the opportunity to hurt the child just for the sake of it and may use that moment to push the child from the bicycle. Or in maximum cases, injuries related to bicycles are simply due to neglect.
3. A birth injury is also one of the common reasons that may need the attention of a child injury lawyer. When a woman is giving birth, some people may insist on using un-traditional methods of birthing which often results in endangering the life of the mother and the child. In a different scenario, it could be due to the incompetence of the doctor or the nurses. It could be all due to the administration of the hospital where the proper pieces of equipment are not upgraded or it could due to the wrong prognosis was given by the doctor. Taking all of those into consideration any of these reasons if it were to happen it would be life-threatening not only to the mother but mostly to the child. If an injury occurred, it could cause detrimental effects to the child which may be lifelong, or worse yet, could result in death.
4. Accidents often happen in daycares, and they are the most common of all cases. The child is brought into daycare and is left behind while the parents go to work or attend to other businesses. So the trust is put upon the caretakers in taking care of the child. Injuries in a child may arise from the negligence or abuse of a caretaker.
5. Drowning accidents are one of the worst tragedies a parent can go through. Children can succumb to it very easily as they are not strong enough to swim to safety. When the highest priority is not given to supervise a child while swimming, the results can be disastrous.
6. Fatal injuries can rise from animal bites which can be from your own pets or animals belonging to a neighbor or passerby. We all know that some animals are quite vicious and unfriendly and it may result in attacking the weakest human, which is usually the child. Animal bites are dangerous as well as painful, and a lot of injuries have been caused to children through bites which are often a traumatic experience for the child.
7. Another common cause of child injury is the one that arises from accidents in school buses. A school bus carries people of different types and bullying a child is one of the main causes of injuries. A lot of cases have been observed where a child who is often picked on school is the target of bullying on the bus. This has resulted in feuds between the parents and has often hampered the psychological well-being of the bullied child.
8. Other injuries have been caused by improper car seat fittings, playground accidents, picnic accidents, camping accidents. There have been cases as well where the child got injured when playing with a toy where proper safety measures were not installed in it. Crib injuries are also one that is not unheard of, and these have caused a disturbing amount of deaths in infants.
Child injuries are common, and the safety of a child depends on its surroundings and the adult who is supervising the child. If an unprecedented injury happens to a child and if it is worth looking into, a child injury lawyer can help with looking into it. If foul play is suspected, the child injury lawyer is dedicated to getting to the bottom of the case to look for evidence. After searching and finding the evidence, it is up to the lawyer to make sure that the one responsible for the injury of the child is made to atone for it.
Winning a case for a child injury can result in compensating the family for the damages and the pain caused due to the injury or even the death of a child. Overall, justice is not blind to the wrongful acts which are committed against the innocent children.
HOW DO YOU HIRE A CHILD INJURY LAWYER?
1. Checking to see if the lawyer has dealt with child injury cases:
This is the most crucial initial point to consider. If you are looking to dive into a legal matter and as that usually involves lawyers, the process would hardly be straightforward. Some law companies would claim facts that aren’t true by twisting them and getting you in a muddle. This would result in wasting time and eventually the loss of the impending case. It is best to do your research properly and making sure that your lawyer is experienced in child injury cases. A good attorney would also hold the interests of the child first rather than getting paid and will protect the evidence at all costs.
This is in conjunction with the first point where I mentioned that you do your research. Doing research would not only mean browsing online for good child injury lawyers but asking recommendations from people as well. There must be people who have been in a similar situation to you or who may know someone who has been in a similar situation as you. The important thing would be to ask those people what their experience was like and what are the right steps in proceeding with a child injury case. Knowledge first-hand is always helpful no matter how small it may be.
3. More research:
If your to-be lawyer has claimed to have been involved in child injury cases, you could always contact the past clients of the lawyer and get more insight. If the past clients are willing to discuss their previous liaison with your present lawyer, you could always address your doubts and even read the testimonials that were written by the lawyer. After seeing the evidence, it would be up to you on whether you should or not hire the child injury lawyer.
4. Discuss with your lawyer on what you want from this case:
Discuss your expectations, but keep in mind that attorneys deal with these cases every day and have a good sense on when it is prudent and in your family’s best interest to settle the case before it goes to trial.
It is also helpful if you could discuss with the lawyer on who would be handling the paperwork that is related to insurance and medical.
TIPS ON HOW TO AVOID MAKING MISTAKES WHILE HIRING A CHILD INJURY LAWYER:
1. The number one rule is not to be intimated by the legal process and it is always advisable that you ask questions if there are gray areas. Never leave a doubt unattended.
2. A lawyer can have years and years of experience, but the right thing to look for is not the years of experience, but experienced in the type of case that you will be dealing with. Does the lawyer you are considering have experience with personal injury claims, particularly child injury cases?
3. Never choose a lawyer based on a TV commercial. The urgency of the case may be pressing, but hiring a lawyer in haste could prove to be more disastrous. It will be helpful to check Google reviews, awards, and credentials before hiring.
4. If you have any questions at all concerning an injury to your child, please don’t hesitate to call the attorneys at the Robinette Legal Group today. The consultation is free, and if we can help you, there are no fees until your family receives a settlement for your child’s injuries.
Call Today: 304.594.1800
FREQUENCY OF CHILD INJURY:
The Center for Disease Control (CDC) has reported that injuries that are caused unintentionally are the reasons for the cause of death among children. Accidents that range from drowning, poisoning, car accidents, falls and even burns are caused due to negligence and abuse. When these events are left unattended, it may cause permanent effects in the child and may impact both physiological and psychological growth.
Below is a list of statistics released by the Center for Disease Control related to the unintentional injuries inflicted on children from the ages 0-9:
1. Every year in the US alone, an average of 12,000 children die from unintentional injuries. Unintentional injuries can arise from falls, burns, car accidents, drowning and even poisoning.
2. The ratio of death for male children is double compared to the ratio of death for female children.
3. Among the unintentional injuries, the leading cause of death among children is car accidents.
4. A staggering number of children are treated for unintentional injury every year. The number of children treated on an average by the emergency departments is 9.6 million.
5. The number of children that visit the emergency room after a fall is 3 million.
6. This is the most disturbing of all. The leading cause of death for infants is accidental suffocation.
The statistics show that most of these cases arise from negligence mostly or abuse from babysitters or family and even friends of families. Child injuries can cause a child to suffer from lifelong problems like emotional trauma and in other cases; it can result in even brain damage and paralysis if not death. Whether the damage may be psychological or physical, it would take years and years of therapy before seeing actual results or sometimes there would be no positive results.
Therefore, it cannot be emphasized enough on hiring a child injury lawyer because it is often overlooked. And when enough attention is not paid, the costs end up being very high.
SERVICES TO CURB CHILD INJURIES THAT ARISE FROM ABUSE AND NEGLECT:
The services of West Virginia ensures that there is no delay in the development of the children at least until the age of three. If the growth in development is hampered or delayed it could have dire consequences to the well-being of a child. The Child Abuse Prevention and Treatment Act was introduced in 1974 and was signed to serve and protect the welfare of the children. The abuse and neglect of children are taken very seriously, with the act being updated and reviewed regularly till date.
Review teams are set up to check and review the infant and child mortality rates. When the emphasis is given on the review of the pattern and the frequency of the death of children, the problem can be mitigated as soon as possible. For this purpose, specific teams such as the West Virginia Child Fatality Review Team and the Infant Mortality Review Team are appointed to monitor the trends in child injuries and death.
The law of West Virginia provides a proper justice system to the victims of child injuries that arise from abuse, neglect or accidents. It is very important that child injuries are not to be ignored whether it is one’s child or somebody else’s child. And the right way to help with a case such as that is by hiring a child injury attorney if foul play or negligence is suspected.