West Virginia ranks 40th in the nation for population but 18th for car accident deaths per 100k people, according to the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety. While law enforcement, state agencies, and the Federal Highway Administration are working to reduce the number of deaths and injuries from car accidents, crashes remain all too common in Weston and throughout West Virginia.
Were you hurt in a car accident someone else caused? Then you could be owed compensation for the harm they caused you – and a car accident lawyer in Weston is an excellent source of reliable information and assistance. However, you only have a short time to pursue financial recovery, so time is of the essence.
For over two decades, the Robinette Legal Group, PLLC, has helped injured West Virginians secure the money they needed for medical expenses, lost wages, and other losses. While the outcome of each car accident case is unique, you can rely on our team of compassionate and dedicated lawyers to work tirelessly on your behalf. Call or contact us today for a free case evaluation with our Weston personal injury lawyers and learn more about what your case could be worth.
Most Frequent Injuries Suffered in Car Accidents
Car accident injuries can cause lasting physical and emotional damage. Always seek medical care promptly after any type of car accident, as you might have suffered:
- Whiplash and other soft tissue damage
- Cuts and lacerations from shattered windows and windshields
- Bruises and burns caused by airbag inflation
- Steering wheel injuries
- Concussion and traumatic brain injuries (TBI)
- Broken bones
- Spinal cord injuries
- Internal bleeding
What To Do After a Car Accident
After you’ve sought medical care after the car accident, follow up with your treatment provider for appointments, physical therapy, or pain management sessions. Next, you can take the following steps to protect your subsequent accident case:
- Give the insurance company basic information, and do not speculate on who or what caused the crash.
- Consult with our Weston car accident lawyers about your personal injury claim and possible compensation.
- Avoid posting photos or commenting about the car accident on your social media accounts.
- Start a pain journal and assign a value on a numeric scale to chart your post-accident recovery.
- Keep all receipts and records related to the car accident.
Common Causes of Weston Car Accidents
While car accidents have many causes, many involve human error. The most common causes of car accidents include:
- Drunk driving: According to a recent Governor’s Highway Safety Program annual report, intoxicated drivers contributed to 28 percent of fatal car accidents and many severe injuries in one year.
- Distracted driving: Any activity distracting a motorist increases the likelihood of a car accident, whether texting, eating, or reaching for an item.
- Drowsy driving: Falling asleep at the wheel is only one danger of drowsy driving. Driving while fatigued slows reflexes and impairs judgment, potentially leading to a car accident
- Reckless driving: Drivers with a blatant disregard for traffic signals, speed limits, and other rules of the road increase the risk of injury and loss of life for other motorists, pedestrians, and cyclists.
- Teens and senior drivers: Younger and older drivers (65 and older) are more likely to cause or contribute to car accidents. These demographics either lack the experience to react safely or have slower reflexes due to age or medical conditions.
- Mechanical failure: Some car accidents in West Virginia are due to defective parts, repairs, or mechanical failure, such as brakes or tires that do not perform as they should.
- Poor weather conditions: Inclement weather like rain, snow, ice, and fog can severely impair visibility and traction, leading to a car accident. Drivers often underestimate the dangers of adverse weather, increasing the likelihood of accidents due to reduced stopping distances and compromised vehicle control.
Compensation Available in a West Virginia Car Accident
Our Weston car accident lawyers can assess your case to determine who is liable for the crash. If another party is to blame, you could pursue car accident compensation in a personal injury claim for your:
- Past and future medical care, including emergency room visits, surgery, hospitalization, specialists, physical therapy or rehabilitation, and prescriptions
- Lost wages for time you missed at work due to injuries
- Reduced earnings if your injuries prevent you from working at your previous job or you must work fewer hours as a result
- Pain and suffering for the physical and emotional harm after the accident
- Property damage, including repair or replacement of your vehicle and other personal items
Deadline to File a Car Accident Lawsuit
Like other states, West Virginia has a statute of limitations on how long you have to file legal action against someone for negligence or wrongdoing. For car accidents and other types of personal injury cases, you have about two years to file a lawsuit. If you wait until the statute of limitations expires, you give up your opportunity to seek compensation.
Two years might seem like plenty of time, but there are several steps in demanding compensation from a negligent party after a car accident, including:
- Compiling and examining evidence, like accident photos, traffic camera footage, police reports, and witness statements
- Assessing injuries and losses
- Determining liability based on the evidence
- Filing an insurance claim with the other party’s carrier
- Negotiating a settlement for the maximum amount possible
- Take your case before the court if you cannot settle with the insurance company
Fortunately, our Weston car accident lawyers can handle these critical tasks at no upfront cost to you. You can then focus on feeling better and following your healthcare provider’s instructions.
Talk to Our Experienced Car Accident Attorneys in Weston, WV, Today
No one expects a car accident, and when it happens to you, the aftermath can be severe. Now is the time to contact Our Weston car accident lawyers with the Robinette Legal Group, PLLC. We can help you understand your legal rights, collect evidence, negotiate with the insurance company for a settlement, and take your personal injury claim to trial if necessary.
The Robinette Legal Group, PLLC, focuses our 30+ years of experience on helping those hurt by the negligence of others. We cannot undo the pain of a car accident, but we can demand compensation from those responsible. Trust an experienced Weston personal injury lawyer to stand by you throughout this pursuit, giving you the time and space to focus on your health. Contact us today for a free case evaluation with our car accident lawyers from the Robinette Legal Group, PLLC.